Saturday 10 January 2015

Carnival Fete: What To Wear (Update)


It's Carnival time again here on the beautiful twin isle of Trinidad and Tobago, and that also means it's 'fete-after-fete-after-fete'.This period of time is probably the most celebratory period in the country. The atmosphere is energetic, euphoric, thick with togetherness and just pure fun. Vibes! This year's Carnival season may be on the shorter end, but the parties are non-stop. And for every fashionable Carnival-baby out there, finding the perfect outfit for all of these events can be tres stressful.



Last week, my room was in an uproar as I flipped my closet inside-out, looking for an outfit to wear to a cooler event. How could I not know what to wear? It was 'just' another cooler party. I was familiar with the dress code. It's the same thing year after year; jean shorts, a pretty top and flats. But for some reason, I found this dress code to be boring, retrograde even. I yearned for something more, but I did not want to be overly dressed, it was a fete after all. Not that serious! I managed to throw on a high-waist skinny jeans, simple bustier top and closed toe sandals, and was out the door. I liked my outfit, it was a change from my usual booty shorts and bralette attire. Good change.

That was my first fete of the season, with numerous more to go, and I thought if I did not want to end up in the confused mess I was in last week, I should plan my outfits beforehand. What I came up with is an updated palette which should serve as a guide to every female fete-goer's wardrobe this year. I plan on doing a Carnival Series here on the blog, providing some inspiration for outfits as the season progresses. This week, I'll deal with the typical Carnival fete. A typical Carnival fete calls for a casual ambiance. Most, are cooler-friendly and have outdoor venues. They usually start late at night or in the wee hours of the early morning. Fetes in Trinidad are more popular earlier in the Carnival season, in January, and are attended by thousands of patrons. Women usually wear shorts, flats and crop tops. But this year, I am challenging everyone to step out of this common ground, to change up the scene. The goal should not only be to stand out, but to be remembered. To be the style star of the party even when you are not the life of the party.

Now, to make things a little more interesting, you must understand that there are various style personalities, as I call it. Not every woman would like to dress one particular way. So, after giving it some thought, I managed to come up with three different style personalities you may find at the typical Carnival fete.

The first style personality I'm calling "The VIP Chic". This is the woman holding a very exclusive VIP ticket to the fete. She usually stays within the confines of the secluded VIP area throughout the duration of the fete, and is accompanied by her other VIP Chic girlfriends. These women rarely jump and wave, but will manage to take a little whine every now and then. They drink premium and rarely bring along their own coolers as they frequent the VIP bar and lounge. If you can identify with "The VIP Chic", then the following outfit is ideal for you.


Carnival Fete: What To Wear

Carnival Fete: What To Wear by jhalisa-xo featuring crossbody handbags

"The VIP Chic" outfit includes a modern silhouette, featuring a pair of straight line cigarette pants, a lace detail top and sandals. Lace is really popular right now, and Skivvies offer the perfect balance between sexy and demure. I suggest pairing Skivvies in a bold color, while keeping the pant a solid black or camel. A clutch with a shoulder strap, some mismatched midi rings and a boyfriend watch complete this chic look. 

The second style personality is so me, and I'm calling it "The Common Cooler". This is the woman holding a General Admission ticket to the fete. She has definitely come to party, and be the life of the party. She is usually accompanied by an entire posse of friends, male and female, and her favorite position is on top of the cooler. The "Common Cooler" woman will sure jump and wave, whine and mash up the place! (And I mean that in a good way, of course.) If you can identify with her, then the following outfit is ideally for you.


Carnival Fete: What To Wear

Carnival Fete: What To Wear by jhalisa-xo featuring Coleman

The "Common Cooler" outfit includes an update to the high-waist jean shorts, a form-fitting halter top and a pair of caged flats. High-waist jean shorts with the frayed ends are out, and high-waist jean shorts with cuffed ends are in. These shorts look very vintage and flatter most shapes. I suggest pairing these with a halter top rather than a bodysuit, because it will prove more practical when time to use those rocky portable potties. Also, I recommend caged flats instead of single strap sandals because they are more rigid and can withstand the constant jumping and whining. No one wants to be at a fete with a busted shoe. Trust me, I've seen girls limping around the fete, one shoe intact. It's also smart to walk with a waterproof phone case or plastic baggy to protect your cell phone, say, from falling into the cooler.

The third style personality common at Carnival fetes is the "Mingling Maven". This is the social butterfly, the "She knows everyone and must say hi" female. During a fete, she is hard to track down because this woman is constantly mingling, jumping from cooler to cooler, general to vip. It's even harder to say who she came to the fete with, because she is hanging out with everyone. If you are anything like Miss "Mingling Maven", then the following outfit is perfect for you.

Carnival Fete: What To Wear

Carnival Fete: What To Wear by jhalisa-xo featuring CB2

This outfit is as versatile as the "Mingling Maven's" personality. It includes a sexy printed romper, a pair of flatform wedges, and an essential wrist wallet. A romper like this one is foolproof for the woman who is  going to be mingling with the different personalities in a crowd. It's effortless enough to be worn with the "Common Cooler" crowd, while fashionable enough to maintain the standard set by the "VIP Chic" women. To keep things simple, I suggest using flash tattoos in place of jewelry, as it would prove less of a hassle when moving around. Bangles and necklaces can be easily lost in the crowd during a fete. I would also advise this woman to carry along her own goblet or cup as she would be filling up from different coolers.

I do hope you can identify with one of the style personalities presented, and are able to successfully plan an outstanding and memorable outfit for your next Carnival fete. Also, if you can't find any of these pieces in your closet, you can shop my closet in the menu bar above, or go directly to Saint Hadar Exchange. Next in the series, I will present some inspiration for the Carnival All-Inclusive Fete. In the meantime, you can download and listen to some of my favorite soca songs right now. 

Remedy - Single - Machel Montano
Magnetic - Single - Kerwin Du Bois
Love,
Jhalisa J.

No comments:

Post a Comment