Thursday 21 July 2016

Crochet x Denim



Playful. Strong. Dainty. Fierce. Those are the words which come to mind when I think about this look. A muted, geo-print crochet set (Available here ) purposed against an oversized, masculine denim shirt. Perfectly juxtaposed. Effortlessly styled. 


I am just so obsessed with pairing pieces that usually aren't worn together. It's quite telling of my personality; I'm not too much of one thing. Never too girly or overdone. Staying true to my aesthetic, I figured the landscape of my home, would make the ideal backdrop for this look. It's the place where I am truly myself, and continually inspired. There is so much beauty in the unfiltered realities of our lives; an unabashed dopeness. I've always observed how so many of us, especially on social media, blur out the background of our lives, for whatever reason. A messy room. Distracting photo-bombers. Or whatever. In an effort to disrupt that culture of ashamedness, I present this immaculately constructed look against the raw, resplendent scene of my life. Crochet x Denim. 


denim shirt



Crochet - A retro fabric which, at first thought, reminds me of grandmothers, tablecloths and childhood. My introduction to crochet was through my granny, who was an avid crocheter. She would make doilies for our dressers, the sofa and side tables all by hand. At one point, that was all she did. Day and night she would crochet, following patterns in a  book or free-styling a design off the top of her head. So in a way, crochet feels old to me. But not in a bad way.
I'm talking about the good old days type of old. The comfy old jeans kind of old, that feels safe and familiar.  Like the old house you grew up in, or the unfeigned joy of watching old movies. Crochet is eternal as memories close to the heart.
Denim- A timeless fabric. Updated season after season and a closet staple year round, denim is a style mvp. I feel like if denim were a person, she would be the one who gets shit done. She would be the first to arrive and the last to leave; the hardest working member on the team. She would play well with others but is strong enough to stand alone. Denim is that bitch. In the same way, denim pieces, from jeans to jackets, are must-haves in any style arsenal. Denim adds bravado to any look. It's the superhero of an outfit but looks as laid back as a sidekick.
Marrying crochet and denim together, makes for a nostalgia of feels. Classic, feminine and fierce. Sounds like the perfect woman to me!

denim jacket



xo,
Jhalisa

No comments:

Post a Comment