Monday 18 July 2016

Style Re-Think | Hooded Sweatshirt



How to style a sweatshirt

Women always feel like they have nothing to wear; yet, with a closet overflowing with potential, I reckon the real issue is lack of inspiration. I truly believe that with a fresh vision, a blah wardrobe can turn into a wonderland of new opportunity for you and your next outfit. 
For instance, the grey Nautica sweatshirt I used for this look had been sitting in my closet for about 7 years now. It's very basic, no bold graphics or print, no loud colors or patterns. Just minimal; an easy, and necessary closet staple. Anyway, this particular day, I woke up with the intention to shoot a look which transcended genres. I wanted my outfit to relay casual and formal at the same time, with hints of urban and chic. Not caring too much to stay on trend, I put on some inspired vision, and dived right into my closet.



Tip 1: Pants, no! Skirt, yes!

I knew that I wanted to wear a sweater that day, it was raining. My only dilemma then, was how in the world was I going to make a sweater look chic? I initially planned on pairing the sweatshirt with my faux leather skater skirt, but then I remembered that I gave it away. All of my other skirts were maxi styles and either had a floral print or were too sheer. So I grabbed this black bodycon dress with cutouts, and folded it to appear like a skirt. This is a great trick, especially if you've worn the dress out and hate repeating outfits.
Next, I added some layering by introducing a faux leather, sleeveless jacket with the coolest fringe details. (Available here ) This element definitely helped to elevate the overall look of the outfit. Another great tip for styling basics in your closet, is to mix fabrics. Pairing cotton with faux leather or polyester with chiffon brings contrast to your look. Remember, mixing and matching is not only for prints, but you can mix and match any part of your look. See how I matched my shoes to my hair? (laughs) Just kidding.
Finally, I accessorized with an oversized gold watch, strappy heels and pearl earrings.

It wouldn't be complete unless Bubba made an appearance.

Guess tote, sunglasses & my Bubba.

Tip 2: Mix fabrics; leather looks best.

Tip 3: Minimal accessories and baby are a must!

This an easy and cool look that can be worn to the office or out and about come Friday. Whether it's a simple sweatshirt or a dress you may have worn once, everything in your closet deserves a second chance. Remember, with a little inspiration and a new vision, you can re-think your style.

xo,
Jhalisa J.

No comments:

Post a Comment